The James Bay Vicarial District was erected on April 12, 1929, while the Labrador Vicarial District was erected on June 11, 1946. The Vicariate of the Missions of St. Francis Xavier was erected on January 7, 1957, by division of the Canada-East Province. On January 25, 1967, it took the name of Vice-Province of James Bay and Labrador. In 1977, the two Vice-Provinces were dissolved: The eastern part, the North Shore and northern Quebec and Labrador, is attached to the Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire Province, while James Bay was attached to the Saint-Joseph Province. Here is the list of names of the residences and places that acquired a new status: Attawapiskat (1912), Central Patricia (1943), Fort Albany (1892), Fort George (1922), Lansdowne House (1949), Moosonee (1929), Rupert House (1943), Winisk (1924), La Romaine (Sacré-cœur), La Tabatière (1946), Lourde-du-Blanc-Sablon (1946), Manouane (1960), Maricourt-Wakeham (1936), Mingan (1958) (1958), Natasshquan (1958), Schefferville (1955), Sept-Îles (1958), Tête-à-la-Baleine (1950), West St. Modest (1955).
The decree of suppression of the Vice-Province of St. Francis Xavier stipulates in paragraph 12 that the Provincials and Bishops will negotiate within one year of the suppression the contract governing the pastoral care of the Oblates. It would be useful to discuss the future of the house of Moosonee, which is owned by the Province of St. Joseph but currently rented to the diocese.
Eugène Lapointe OMI