Born at Grasse (Var), on June 19, 1832.
Taking of the habit at Notre-Dame de l’Osier on June 30, 1855.
Oblation at Notre-Dame de l’Osier on July 2, 1856. (no. 413)
Ordination to the priesthood at Marseilles, June 27, 1858.
Dispensed from his vows on February 23, 1863

Honoré Peillon was born at Grasse in the diocese of Fréjus on June 19, 1832. He began his novitiate at Notre-Dame de l’Osier on June 30, 1855 and made his oblation there on July 2, 1856. He was admitted to vows in the General Council session of June 2, 1856. In presenting him to the Superior General, Father Vandenberghe, the master of novices, wrote: “After having completed his philosophical studies at Marseilles he took courses in theology for one year at Fréjus where he received the tonsure. Although not above average either as to talents or his prayer life, I believe he will be a good candidate. His conduct has been stable; his character is good and peaceful. He puts his heart and soul into what he is told to do, but does it without anxiety. He does it also without fanfare, and he is careful to acquit himself of the duties of his prayer life. He has a measure of humility, good will and tractability. […] Although he has no outstanding faults, neither does he have either the fire or spirit of initiative one sees in characters of a stronger temper.”

Scholastic brother Peillon spent two years at the scholasticate of Montolivet and was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop de Mazenod on June 27, 1858. In his reports, Father Mouchette, moderator of scholastics, always judged him favourably, but saw in him a character that was “a bit limp,” “a bit listless” and fragile in health. “He is often in need of encouragement; good, virtuous, regular in his observance.” On June 8, 1858, along with Father Lelons, he was designated for the Ceylon mission. On October 16 of that year, Bishop de Mazenod wrote to Bishop Semeria that Fathers Mola and Lelons left but that Father Peillon “fell ill and his illness which appears to have affected his chest does not allow the risk of exposing him to your climate.”

In the Personnel Registry of 1862-1863 under Father Peillon’s name we read: “Simple in appearance. Awkward in manner. Prayer life and virtue that is sincere and solid. Average talents. Phlegmatic in temperament. His health has changed a lot and is languishing. In spite of everything, he has shown himself to be dedicated and has been of service at Vico. When he returned home in 1861, it was impossible for him to take up his work again. He was permitted to live for some time with his family. Then, for family reasons, he asked to prolong his stay and to take on some ministry there. He was allowed to do so under certain conditions. In January of 1863, he asked to be dispensed from his vows and the council, after having hesitated for some time, granted his request. Indeed, in the General Council session of August 1, 1862, it was stated that Father Peillon, who had been living with his family for the last two years, was asking to be dispensed from his vows. The request was repeated on February 20, 1863 and, on February 23, the decision was made to grant him the dispensation.

Yvon Beaudoin, o.m.i.